Monday 8 February 2010

Most of my trouble . .

. .and it is most of mine, this learning to give over myself to God's way, "letting go and letting God" as someone who ministered to me recently said that I must do. That battle is always on and I guess even if I can sometimes see I am not doing that well at least I am aware of the fight! Where we have given up and fallen asleep is the real problem and sometimes that happens, we become happy and content with where we are at, the picture of really 'comfortable'. Circumstances wake you up to it and God uses those circumstances and how uncomfortable it suddenly seems! This happened to me at work this last week or two, would I give this person/situation over to God that suddenly had arisen , would I eckers like! I'm still not quite there, the walking humbly with God at work bit that came out of sunday night's service is helping, but to be honest I am having to really grit my teeth and pray that at least my actions will be right even if at times my thoughts are not.

Reading about the Welsh revival and the Azusa Street (Los Angeles) revival that followed in it's tracks you realise it was most uncomfortable for the participants, unbelievable heart wrenching repentance amongst 'sinners' and believers alike, in fact, they described people as dying or doing alot of dying. Like alot of Christians I really yearn for revival and want to see it happen in Bolton, but, when you read the actual accounts of how people are broken before God it's just difficult to know how you yourself could get to the necessary place needed for that revival . .below is from Frank Bartleman 1906

'My mind, the last fortress of man to yield, was taken possesion of by the Spirit. The waters that had gradually been accumulating, went over my head. I was possessed of him fully. The utterance "in tongues" was without human mixture, "as the Spirit gave utterance" - (Acts 2:4). Oh, the thrill of being utterly yielded to Him! My mind had always been very active. It's natural workings had caused me most of my trouble in my Christian experience. "Casting down reasonings", (2 Cor 10:5) Nothing hinders faith and the operation of the Spirit so much as the self-assertiveness of the human spirit, the wisdom, strength, and self-sufficiency of the human mind. This must all be crucified, and here is where the fight comes in. We must become utterly undone, insufficient and helpless in our own consciousness, thoroughly humbled, before we can receive this possession of the Holy Spirit. We want the Holy Ghost, but the fact is He is wanting possession of us" My own emphasis

page 65 The Azusa Street Revival, Eye Witness Account by Frank Bartleman
Buy here

God bless

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment