Sunday 21 February 2010

Prodigal Son

We started a series at church on the prodigal son and have all been encouraged to buy the book 'Prodigal God by Tim Keller' http://www.redeemer.com (Time Kelller's church) We watched a DVD of Tim Keller unwrapping the story of the prodigal son. There were lots of references to the listeners, their culture, which opened up Jesus's intentions. For example, the older brother in that culture would have been expected to go and try and 'rescue' the younger brother, for the family, for his father, but didn't. One theme was that we should repent of our own righteousness as much as from our downright 'sinning', which was interesting and I so often forget that in my day to day living
Also watched (at home) a Deep calls to Deep video of William Branham (early 1950's, I think) who remains a controversial figure. His family have many recordings of him (and make a controversial claim on the following website, however, despite his/their faults, IMHO he was an amazing man of God, and there are many documented healings attributable to his ministry, there are a number in the last 20 minutes of this film with words of knowledge) http://branham.org/Multimedia the second video in. In the film he says that when Jesus said to the adulterous lady 'go and sin no more' it could also be interpreted as 'go and stop your unbelief' - and I wonder, is self-righteousness 'unbelief' ? ie I will depend on my self to make my life right, because, I don't believe God can? Is this sin in a way? Of course there lots of other reasons, fear, I guess, as well as rebellion - this realisation is only a small helpful step I guess, because then I have to go and repent and change

Thank God, He freely loves us without a price in all circumstances and draws us to himself and His ways with cords of love not judgement ! My own efforts often wear me out and letting go is a hard lesson for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment