Saturday 1 January 2011

Happy New Year

It must be a season of amazing true stories at the moment!
This one is about someone I will call Jane, who as far as I know, none of you know, but just in case I have made some details anonymous. I also have permission to tell the story. A relative of mine in another city told me this story over Christmas: Jane has moved to this city only in the last couple of years. She has had some contact with Christians over the years, maybe believes in God and has not made a Christian commitment. One day my relative and Jane were in a public place and a lady came up to Jane and put her hand on her arm and said, ‘I know you don’t I?’ Jane said, ‘no, I doubt it, I’m not from around here’’. Then the lady described seeing Jane sat on a purple couch/settee with red curtains behind in the background, drinking white wine. All these and other details were correct! This was how Jane spent her evenings. It was in this way that the lady felt she, ‘knew’ Jane. I asked if Jane was freaked out by all this, she was at first apparently, until the lady said, ‘I’m not a psychic, I am a Christian and I have been praying for you’. Jane was then reassured and thanked the lady.

So what does this story say to me and you? For me it says God never gives up on us even when we have given up on ourselves! He never gives up on others even when we have given up on them! God often has answers to our prayers we are not capable of working out beforehand. He has ways of breaking in and showing us that He cares that are way beyond our imagination. We should follow God’s lead and never give up! Pick up in prayer again for yourself or for that other person, go on, God can do it, you never know just what He is up to !

Ephesians 3:20-21‘Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen’
 
Over the Christmas holidays one or two issues close to home have been brought into sharp focus. I sat there listening to a Christmas sermon and the preacher said something like, ‘Christmas can be a time people dread, because, family issues can come to the fore and there may be a lot of pressure’. I remember thinking, ’yer, yer, doesn’t apply to me’. I ended up getting taken by surprise! Why? Well pride is one reason, another is an inability over the years to deal properly with some stuff – both of which I wasn’t really fully aware of. Thank the Lord He knows all about it! After flailing around trying to sort things out in my own mind I finally gave in and prayed. Now I can see God working things out again. Far from resolved or anything, but I see God’s hand in things and have peace once more. (Not that God’s hand has been away from sorting things, just me and handing over and getting Godly peace needed sorting)


Philippians 4: 4-7 ‘Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.’

Prayer


Dear Lord, I pray that in this coming New Year we may be ready for you to act in sometimes surprising ways. Help us to hand over to you more of our lives in 2011 and to learn to trust you in ways we haven’t before. May we open hearts and minds to learn more of you and your ways. Thank you that whatever we do, your loving care for us is always active. Please help us to look to you sooner rather than later in difficult situations. In the good times, help us not to forget you, but, rejoice with you. You are an amazing Father with an amazing plan for each of us in 2011 – Thank you Lord! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment